Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Cutting Out the Fat: The Life Diet

As I mentioned in my previous post that featured a scrumptious, healthy recipe for frittata, I am currently on a diet. Although my initial intention of this health makeover was focused on eating more whole grains and cutting out the fat, it has now taken a new turn. An expansion of horizons, of sorts. Allow me to elaborate.

One of the best things about life, in my opinion, is that you often learn lessons in ways that you least expect it. A part of healthy living is not limited to the food you eat or how long you spend on the treadmill. It's also about the decisions you make. And who you surround yourself with. Birds of a feather flock together...both good birds and bad.

My husband and I hosted a family BBQ this weekend, to celebrate the 4th of July holiday. What began as a fun, summertime party suddenly turned...well...ugly. At my house. After I cooked and cleaned and prepped. For hours.

One thing you should know about me is that I LOVE to entertain and have people at my house. Nothing pleases me more than to have the grill going, the music up, and the sound of laughter floating in the air. I'm a summertime gal, always have been. And I SO prefer to have a patio party vs. a gift exchange around the Christmas tree when it's FREEZING outside! You get the point. I love to have parties. In the summer. It just puts me in a good mood.

The reason I mention this is because I was in a great mood the day of the BBQ. And then the storm broke. Really, the person that started this fight could have come in to my house and peed on my new carpet, because that's what it felt like.

I'm never a fighter unless I have a reason. And when someone pees on my carpet, whether literal or figuratively, I'm probably not gonna let it go.

The details of the argument aren't important. But what I can tell you is that the person yelling at me sounded like Linda Blair in The Exorcist. And ironically, didn't she pee on her mother's carpet at a party, when she first became possessed? Coincidence, I think not!

Admittedly, I'm no angel. I had been waiting for this fight for quite some time. The opportunity presented itself, and I pounced on it with all my best catlike reflexes. Meow!

Sometimes, arguments can leave you with the worst feeling in the world. Awkward. Confused, hurt, sad, stunned. But not this one. It was Independence Day, baby, and I was waving my flag. Let freedom ring! Finally this toxic person would be out of our life. For good. Blessings often come in disguise.

In reflecting over all the drama and chaos that so quickly entered and exited my home this weekend, I realized something.

It's about time that we cut out the bad things in life. I'm talking about that one person that might be driving you mad, might be weighing you down. You know who they are! You typically dread seeing them, and nothing good EVER comes from being around them. They are never there to join you in celebrating a victory, and no where to be found when you need a shoulder to cry on. And so ask yourself this question: What are they to you, really?

Remember that surrounding yourself with those you can count on, those that enjoy your company, home, laughter...those people are the sweetest fruit of your life. If you stick with them, you can't go wrong. And probably will never have to worry about cleaning pee stains on your carpet.

xoxo
-K

No comments:

Post a Comment