Friday, August 20, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love: A Friday Night Story

Because I just saw Eat, Pray, Love at the theater last weekend with hubby, and because I've been slacking (majorly) on blogging, I thought I would dedicate my post today to the inspiring memoir by Elizabeth Gilbert. Don't get too excited...there's nothing remotely profound in this post, although I'm learning to really enjoy the simple things in life.

Eat.

The power was out at our house last Friday night. There was a wicked storm going on outside...lots of lightening and wind. Which usually means that our power and/or cable will go out right in the middle of a show that I'm enthralled in. I think I was watching "Real Housewives of New Jersey" episodes that I had DVRd.

Combine no power + a panic stricken wife that is wondering if her husband will make it home okay on the Harley before it starts hailing = we needed a night out of the house.

There wasn't much time before the movie started, so we had to eat quickly at the restaurant. I ordered only a small salad, since I knew I would inevitably gorge myself with buttery popcorn in a mere matter of minutes.

What is it about movie theater popcorn that makes it so delicious? And what is in that butter, anyways? Is it real butter? Chemically enhanced to give the same feeling of euphoria as crack?

Stop thinking. Just eat.

Love.

Yeah, I know I'm out of order. But I loved the movie! And I loved spending time with hubby on a Friday night. I loved being on a date with him. I loved that we went out in a torrential downpour to grab dinner and a movie. I loved that our waiter brought our food and bill promptly so we would not be late to the movie. I loved that I didn't really have any worries or cares because we (Hubby and I, not the waiter and I) were having so much fun together. Isn't that what life is about?

Pray.

Hi God, it's me, Kristy. Is there any way that you can ensure that my power will be back on when we get home?

Now, some may disagree, but...I don't see anything wrong with putting both simple and complex requests out in the universe for God to answer. Because in my experience, He listens.

I'm not a holy roller. I don't often visit a church, unless I'm in a different state or in Europe (there's something about old churches that just pull me in). But I know for a fact that He listens. Want to know why? Because for all the pain and loss I've felt in the past several months, it is now slowly being replaced with happiness and peace. I can feel it in my heart. And if that's not powerful, I don't know what else is.

Plus, our power was back on when we got home from the movie.

xoxo
-K


No comments:

Post a Comment